+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uverse vs. TWC vs. DirecTV vs. Dish Network

Default Uverse vs. TWC vs. DirecTV vs. Dish Network

My wife and I just purchased a 73" Misubishi DLP tv last week (it was on sale for $1200), so now we're looking at all of our media options. We have to have high speed internet and an "extended basic" type of channel package. We primarily watch shows on local channels, but do need Discovery, DIY, History, Speed, Versus, and Spike for sure. We are looking at getting some kind of setup with Netflix, but aren't certain what route we will go there because we don't have much time for movies. We have TWC right now and my first impression after getting the TV hooked up is that I am not thrilled w/ the quality of their HD channels. From what my brother-in-law is telling me (he bought the exact same TV), he is getting much better picture from an antenna than I am getting from TWC, and we are using the same cables too. I'm clueless about this crap, but he said that it definitely looked like a compressed signal from TWC.

Let's hear everyone's thoughts! Because we don't watch a ton of TV, I am not looking to spend a ton of money. I'm trying to log into TWC now to see what we are currently paying, but I think it is only about $120/mo.

What cables are you running? Needs to be HDMI.

SD(secured digital) is not gonna look good on this tv........HD (720p to 1080p) should look great. So get you a blu-ray and a netflix membership.......

Also Dish network has 1080p boxes now available that are supposed to be pretty hot.
    '06 YFZ450XC - '86 TRX250R EDT/TT - '75 YAMAHA RD350 - '07 SHADOW SPIRIT

If you haven't done so, contact TWC and tell them you have an HDTV. You need to replace the standard cable box with an HD box. Also, make sure you're using HDMI cables. There's no charge for the box switch. We have TWC and didn't realize this at first. What a dif after the switch!!!
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx 800

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

We do already have an HD box and I am using HDMI cable. I just got a optical audio cable as well (not that I'll be able to tell the difference w/ our sound system.)

If you have an HD box and are using HDMI cables and you still don't have a great picture.....have TWC come out and check your signal strength. We get a great picture, so much better than the regular cable that I hate it when I watch non-HD. The first time I watched HD on our TV was on the Nat Geo channel. I was impressed!!
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx 800

It could be in your co-axial cable.......Basically the older cables running into your house will have to be changed out(if they have not already been upgraded) this is standard operating procedure, the newer upgraded co-ax is able to carry more data than the older co-ax cables.

Also, just curious why your running a dig. audio cable....the HDMI carries sound too.
    '06 YFZ450XC - '86 TRX250R EDT/TT - '75 YAMAHA RD350 - '07 SHADOW SPIRIT

Quote Originally Posted by offroadracer41 View Post
    It could be in your co-axial cable.......Basically the older cables running into your house will have to be changed out(if they have not already been upgraded) this is standard operating procedure, the newer upgraded co-ax is able to carry more data than the older co-ax cables.

Also, just curious why your running a dig. audio cable....the HDMI carries sound too.
    I'm running dig. audio because I was told that would give me the best sound, I am clueless about all things audio/video, and the cable was free. :-)

I had heard about the coax possibly needing replaced, and I also need to remove any unnecessary splitters and lines from our house.

The HD picture isn't "terrible" but for instance... if watching an MX race, as the camera pans across the track you will see sections of the track that look like they get over sharpened and then smoothed repeatedly. It is almost like a temporarily pixalated... that's the best I can describe it.

We probably have a similar set up as you: HD TV, HD cable box, surround sound. What I did was turn off the TV speakers (via the TV menu) and run the video side of the HDMI cable from the TWC box directly to the TV, and the audio side of the HDMI cable from the TWC box to the surround sound receiver.
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx 800

We doing pretty much the same thing, only w/ an optic audio cable.

Quote Originally Posted by CntryFun View Post
    We doing pretty much the same thing, only w/ an optic audio cable.
    That's where I'm confused. If the surround sound is getting the audio signal from the optic cable, do you have the audio side of the HDMI cable plugged into the TV? Also, are the TV speakers ON or OFF? AS previously mentioned, the HDMI cable carries a better quality signal than the optical cable. So you'd be better of using that.
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx 800

+ Reply to Thread