+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATV Trails Disappearing in NC

jericl1

Default ATV Trails Disappearing in NC

It seems the ATV trails are drying up in NC. Are their any free riding trails left? There used to be a lot of trails around Gaston and Lincoln counties. Urban sprawl, liability and just plain people don't like 4-wheelers have caused most of the free riding on private or public lands to be stopped. We still ride on some private land in Hardin, but it is half of what it was two years ago. People and companies who own tracts of land are afraid of being sued from injuries, so they have activley sought to stop all ATV riding on their property.

Orangerider300

Brown Mtn. Will open up in a couple of weeks

for every trail that closes, 3 more are created from people getting into the sport.
    XL70, YZ80, XL100, XR200, YZ125, KE100, KX250, CR250, Nighthawk650, VFR750, CBR900, WR400, CRF450, QA50, Z50, Trail110, CB750, KTM 250SX-my 2 wheel family tree; some living, some dead. my folks have owned ATV's since the first batch of 3 wheelers came out with no suspension and those balloon tires! i've also got a 300EX!!! just added: 2005 CRF450 with a few add-ons...TRX70, CRF50, CR250

If you have a ute, there are still places to ride. Bigwoods, CAW, Busco Beach, Wambaw when its open. Most places are a pretty good distance from me so I stay the weekend and carry extra parts with me.
    Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person.

I've heard stories of riders contacting land owners and working out some sort of deal. Rider pays land owner some monthly amount and agrees not to be overly destructive or pollutant on the property while the land owner waives all liability of any personal or bodily damage to the riders. It would probably be rare but an attempt to do the right thing would probably go a long way.

Every decent ATV park is roughly 100 miles in any direction from Greensboro. We are relegated to railroad beds & power lines. Now even the power lines are dwindling because of construction. Seems they'll build a subdivision just about anywhere! (Using cheap illegal labor! URRRGGGG!!!)
    Riders in my area would need a map or list of non-commercial riding areas. I know there are cool places to ride in Guilford County but people keep them hush hush. Understandably.

bjordan

Theres a place opening shortly in Central Chatham County, that will have a few nice trails. A guy got killed on a dirt bike out there a couple months ago riding illegally when he hit a cable riding at nite and since then his dad has leased the place from the land owner, taken down the cables and put up gates, and is working on a parking are and clearing trails , although there are already alot of trails back there that people have ridden for years. I'll let everyone know when I find out more, from what I've heard there will be a 25 dollar membership fee, and after you pay that you ride for free every time.

Last edited by thecomputerguy06; 05-06-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    If you have a ute, there are still places to ride. Bigwoods, CAW, Busco Beach, Wambaw when its open. Most places are a pretty good distance from me so I stay the weekend and carry extra parts with me.
    What is this place???

Wambaw

I have never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
    Theres a place opening shortly in Central Chatham County, that will have a few nice trails. A guy got killed on a dirt bike out there a couple months ago riding illegally when he hit a cable riding at nite and since then his dad has leased the place from the land owner, taken down the cables and put up gates, and is working on a parking are and clearing trails , although there are already alot of trails back there that people have ridden for years. I'll let everyone know when I find out more, from what I've heard there will be a 25 dollar membership fee, and after you pay that you ride for free every time.
    Do you have any more info on this place??
    A website or email address??
    Maybe a phone number??
    I would like to get on a list to find out about this place!!
    I am always looking for new, legal places to ride!!

bjordan

Quote Originally Posted by astainback View Post
    Do you have any more info on this place??
    A website or email address??
    Maybe a phone number??
    I would like to get on a list to find out about this place!!
    I am always looking for new, legal places to ride!!
    I don't have any new info yet but everything is still in the works. As soon as it opens up I'll let everyone know.

+ Reply to Thread