+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nc atv laws

chuckinnc

Default nc atv laws

I cant find a place in the forums for this one so I will ask here. Does anyone know
    where to find NC laws about atv riding.

1. If I let people ride atvs on my land what do I need to do so I want be liable if
    someone gets hurt?

2. I live on a dirt road, its not state maintained. Its 1/4 mile long & Its on my land
    where it meets the state (paved) rd. I have land at the other end of the road
    where I like to ride. 3 houses are inbetween my house where the dirt road meets the paved rd & the end of the dirt rd where my farm land starts. What laws
    apply to riding on this dirt road?

[glow=red,2,300]http://www.myspace.com/vipergirl12[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]http://www.facebook.com/invite.php#/profile.php?id=716860513&ref=profile[/glow]

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person.

mritch

Default Re: nc atv laws

[quote author=chuckinnc link=topic=39220.msg429800#msg429800 date=1222036645]
    I cant find a place in the forums for this one so I will ask here. Does anyone know
    where to find NC laws about atv riding.

1. If I let people ride atvs on my land what do I need to do so I want be liable if
    someone gets hurt?

2. I live on a dirt road, its not state maintained. Its 1/4 mile long & Its on my land
    where it meets the state (paved) rd. I have land at the other end of the road
    where I like to ride. 3 houses are inbetween my house where the dirt road meets the paved rd & the end of the dirt rd where my farm land starts. What laws
    apply to riding on this dirt road?

[/quote]

The way I have been told is that if it is not State Maintained, then it is considered private property. Even though several houses use it as access it sounds like....I would say your ok to ride it........besides that how many Troopers do you see on the portion of road?????

It seems to me as long as your neighbors dont call the law on you then your probably good........I wouldn't make to much noise or stir up to much dust when passing......

As far as letting people ride on your land. I would be more concerned with that.......as far as liability goes......I might atleast try to get a release form signed......thats what they do at the races and it seems to work as long as theres no negligence on your part i.e.....man made hazards(cables, hidden fences) or blatently dangerous areas.......you know what lawyers call grey areas when there trying to take everything you have......

IMO........

'06 YFZ450XC - '86 TRX250R EDT/TT - '75 YAMAHA RD350 - '07 SHADOW SPIRIT

If you use your ATV for farming purposes, the rules are different.

William Aycock
    GNCC Vet B #250

Venom Performance
    ATVNC.com
    Nahunta Mini Storage

mritch

[quote author=WideOpen link=topic=39220.msg430108#msg430108 date=1222158910]
    If you use your ATV for farming purposes, the rules are different.

[/quote]

Laws are totally out the window if you are using for hunting or farming. However, be careful, because you have to prove that you are on your way to or from your hunting spot or farm. Nothing worse than a pissed off trooper that you tried to lie to!!!

[quote author=ATV Safety Man link=topic=39220.msg430148#msg430148 date=1222178579]
    Nothing worse than a pissed off trooper that you tried to lie to!!!
    [/quote]

Agreed. Uh yeeaaa, trust me.
    2005 400ex with some stuff.

"WHAT THE PISS TRAINEE!?"

I am sure jeepkahn can help you with this question
    Thank You Godspeed Forever in our hearts #211
    Rob
    CV4
    Full Travel Innovations LLC
    Cycle Center Inc.

If you're waitin on me you're backin up! I'm a thousand miles away son. (Herman Wallace)

+ Reply to Thread