+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New motor break-in procedure

Default New motor break-in procedure

I have a few questions about breaking in a new motor.

I know it's a matter of opinion on how to properly break a motor in but I'm looking for suggestions.

Do it by what Yamaha recommends or break it in like "ride it like you stole it" theory. :-\ I know to stay off the rev limiter and to let the motor slow you down instead of clutching it....what else would you recommend?

Another related question.....will a new motor run leaner and hotter (same thing I know)? The reason I ask is I rode it today after work and got on it a bit and it started breaking up in the upper RPM's. I was only in second gear mind you but it has always ran clean throughout the RPM's. Also, my coolant overflow bottle is saying it's at the normal level but I'm getting coolant out of the overflow tube itself...like it's pressurizing (sp) the bottle and forcing coolant out of the overflow tube. :-\ Not a whole lot but my last rebuild I never noticed this before. :-\

This rebuild I replaced the cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets, wrist pin and piston clips. I also cleaned up the valves while the head was off and checked the valve seals for leakage (found no leakage).

Default Re: New motor break-in procedure

i had this same question when i did the top-end on my 450. i found alot of useful information on thumpertalk.com. ride it hard, that seats the rings to the cyl. wall, but not overrevving, of course, and vary the rpm. don't bog it, either. run for 5, cool down, run for 10, cool down, make sure everythings torqued properly, ride it again.
    XL70, YZ80, XL100, XR200, YZ125, KE100, KX250, CR250, Nighthawk650, VFR750, CBR900, WR400, CRF450, QA50, Z50, Trail110, CB750, KTM 250SX-my 2 wheel family tree; some living, some dead. my folks have owned ATV's since the first batch of 3 wheelers came out with no suspension and those balloon tires! i've also got a 300EX!!! just added: 2005 CRF450 with a few add-ons...TRX70, CRF50, CR250

Do not ride it like you stole it. This is the advice I gave in another thread....

[quote author=EXRider link=topic=30271.msg335402#msg335402 date=1187829229]
    Run it easy for the first tank of gas. No WOT or stabs at the throttle during that period. The first time you ride it, start it, run it for 30 minutes, let it rest 5 minutes. Repeat that process a few times.[/quote]

Farmer knows what he's talking about though.
    Elite member of that most distinguished group of gentlemen affectionately known as the [glow=red,2,300]Belews Crew[/glow].

If you have nothing nice to say, at least learn how to spell it.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

[glow=red,2,300]LEGENDARY POST WHORE[/glow]

"There's one in every crowd, and it's usually me!!!! Hey y'all!!!"

meandaspen

let it warm up at idle then let it eat. that's my thery.

those yamahas are so tough it probably doesn't matter how you do it. just change the oil right after. when i changed the oil in my ol' '99 wr400 for the first time it had so much metal and crap on the filter i took the filter back to the shop and asked them about it. it hardly had a speck on it after that first time, though.
    XL70, YZ80, XL100, XR200, YZ125, KE100, KX250, CR250, Nighthawk650, VFR750, CBR900, WR400, CRF450, QA50, Z50, Trail110, CB750, KTM 250SX-my 2 wheel family tree; some living, some dead. my folks have owned ATV's since the first batch of 3 wheelers came out with no suspension and those balloon tires! i've also got a 300EX!!! just added: 2005 CRF450 with a few add-ons...TRX70, CRF50, CR250

For one, Thumper Talk sucks the big weenie. :P I've learned alot reading over there but talk about some uptight people...sheesh. I never knew I was a tard until I joined that site...thank goodness they set me straight. :

My last rebuild I got alot of metal also but I installed a new crank along with the top end so I expected some metal...I had some in the first two oil changes then it went away.

[quote author=Duane link=topic=30382.msg336576#msg336576 date=1188261156]
    For one, Thumper Talk sucks the big weenie. :P[/quote]

Take that Farmer. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Elite member of that most distinguished group of gentlemen affectionately known as the [glow=red,2,300]Belews Crew[/glow].

If you have nothing nice to say, at least learn how to spell it.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

[glow=red,2,300]LEGENDARY POST WHORE[/glow]

"There's one in every crowd, and it's usually me!!!! Hey y'all!!!"

[quote author=EXRider link=topic=30382.msg336578#msg336578 date=1188261577]
    Take that Farmer. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

When I first joined the site they started bashing me and my quad...so I kinda made a video for some of the uptight members there.... ;D

http://media.putfile.com/Roost-68

http://media.putfile.com/Roost-2

They don't like me no mo...what a shame. :P

i have seen where they were a little critical about your last vid, i don't know why dirtbikers are like that, just because they're on better equipment doesn't make them ride any better. and i could roost like that when i was 10 on my mom's atc110, any 10 year old can. that's what makes quads so fun, no matter what your skill level, they make you look like you can ride great, roostin' and all that. i don't comment too much on t'talk, that's what i dig about atvnc, commenting about stuff. but it is a great site for information. they just know how to balance where some folks need training wheels. but that's what's great about our sport, the diversity. there's a style for every skill level/riding preference.

mweidig

[quote author=meandaspen link=topic=30382.msg336574#msg336574 date=1188260665]
    let it warm up at idle then let it eat. that's my thery.
    [/quote]

I question YOUR thery :P :P :P

HOE bitch ;D ;D ;D ;D

+ Reply to Thread