+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What transmission oil and coolant for Polaris Scrambler 400?

Default What transmission oil and coolant for Polaris Scrambler 400?

Hey Guys...I'm trying to swap the coolant and tranny fluid in my 1995 Scrambler 400 (2-Stroke) friday afternoon to get ready for some riding this weekend. I bought it used and this is the first time I've done this. What fluids should I be using?

I've been doing some searching and it looks like the tranny should be either Mobil 1 0w40 or Amsoil Crankcase lube. I can get Mobil 1 at Autozone, so I'll probably do that if someone can confirm that it is a good choice. If not, can someone tell me where to get the Amsoil stuff in Raleigh?

Does it matter what coolant I use? Can I just mix up 50-50 Prestone and Distilled Water?

I pumped grease into all the grease fittings after my last ride. Anything else I should be doing to keep this thing up?

Default Re: What transmission oil and coolant for Polaris Scrambler 400?

Oh yeah, how many quarts of oil do I need for the tranny?

If you do much jumping, you should check the frame at the welds very often. ALL scramblers have some weak points on the frame.
    As far as coolant....I have used engine Ice in my 500 scrammy. It made a difference I could actually tell.
    Keep it well greased. There is a grease zerk on the steering stem that you have to take the hood off to get to. At least on a 500 there is one near the top of the stem. I use Amsoil Marine grade synthetic grease.

Hope this helps.
    William Aycock
    GNCC Vet B #250

Venom Performance
    ATVNC.com
    Nahunta Mini Storage

I saw that grease fitting for the steering column, so I'm good there.

What about transmission oil? That's the biggest thing I want to confirm before I go messing things up.

Maybe you should try reposting this in the polaris section. I don't have much knowledge on polaris maintainace ruteines.
    "Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.
    Depression is when you lose yours.
    And Recovery is when Obama loses his."

I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money, you can keep THE CHANGE!

Why is the lid for the diarrhea medicine so hard to remove?

Yup, and I have no idea on the oil, with mine being a 4-poker.

William Aycock
    GNCC Vet B #250

Venom Performance
    ATVNC.com
    Nahunta Mini Storage

Ive got a quart of some 80-90wt shaft drive gear oil if thats what you use. I bought 2 quarts of it and it fried the clutch in my banshee. I dont know if its what you use but the stuff is 11 bucks a quart and you can have the quart if you wanna meet at a ride or pay for shipping.
    Zip Tie or Die

Coolant is just the standard 50-50 water-antifreeze mix. The transmission takes 80-90 gear lube and the crankcase is 10w30 or 10w40 engine oil. My old scrammy was a 99, yours should be the same.
    2004 KFX "730"
    2004 Prairie 700
    2005 Brute Force 750i

http://www.putfile.com/jcornss

drowland

I know I am way too late on this thread but I feel I should post in case you see this. The tranny in the scrambler does not take 80-90 gear lube. I would use only the Polaris AGL synthetic gear case oil, I think Amsoil makes something similar as well call synthetic chain case oil. (I am not sure if the Amsoil stuff is the same or not I have never used it.) It is very thin which is what the gear case(tranny) in these Scramblers need to keep the bearings properly lubricated. You can put 80-90 in there if you'd like but those bearings aren't going to like it and are going to fail on you eventually.

Buy some AGL from Polaris and you will see what I mean. It is pretty thin stuff. Pretty expensive as well but the gear case only requires 16oz if I remember correctly.

+ Reply to Thread