+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001, 350 Rancher, neutral switch

blue700

Default 2001, 350 Rancher, neutral switch

I need help with the location of the neutral switch and how to test it. It won't do anything when the key is on. The green neutral light won't come on when its in neutral. Is there a site I can see a parts breakdown or a manual on-line?

swampman

Default Re: 2001, 350 Rancher, neutral switch

you checked the bulb?

B_a_n_s_h_e_e

does it crank without the light being on? if so u got a bad bulb. If it dont crank it might of come unplugged by the engine. I had this problem on my 300, a stick had unplugged it from he engine and wouldnt let it crank. Im not sure where they are located on the ranchers.

Tacky

if im not mistaken its close to the rear drive shaft on the engine. actually my neutral light has been burnt out for ever and the only way to replace it is to replace the whole board in the headlight assembly, but the switch should be somewhere close to the drive line on the engine and has a wiring harness running to it. if not check under the engine there is also a wiring harness runnin under there.

blue700

The bulb is good. I grounded the wire and the bulb lit. I'll check the harnesses. When I grounded the neutral light and the light lit I tried to start the engine but nothing happened. (Using the switch) Then I tried to jump out the starter and it cranked but didn't make any spark at the plug so it never started up. Has anyone had any trouble with the ECM unit located under the front right fender? Thanks...

LabRat

Check the kill switch on the handlebar. I know of a bike with the same symptoms, and it turned out to be the kill switch. Water had gotten into the housing and caused the connections to rust up. Spray it with some WD40 and turn it off and on a few times, and the contacts should be clean enough to make a good connection.

Is the rancher an ES? Is it stuck in gear? If so the shift fork my be broken. Honda had a recall on this.
    Keep the rubber side down!!

blue700

I checked the kill switch with a meter and it is working correctly. The shifter can go through all the gears and we can push it in neutral. Keep the ideas comming I'm sure we'll get it....

blue700

It is the neutral switch....thanks

muss

here's another simple electrical test, unscrw the plug boot on the end of the plug wire. i had one the that test bad, no continuity thru it. then check for spark from the end of the wire.

+ Reply to Thread